Throughout 2023, the ICAS Foundation has continued to support undergraduate accounting and finance students facing economic and social barriers to financial education:
- 19 students graduated this year, with 89% achieving a First Class or Upper-Second Class honours degree.
- 89% of 2023 graduates progressed directly into CA graduate training roles, or have been offered other employment and post-graduate training opportunities.
- We offered 28 ICAS Foundation programme places to students in 2023, and awarded 2 one-off financial grants, bringing the total number of students supported so far by the Foundation to 332.
We would not be able to provide this assistance to students without the generous support of our donors, volunteer mentors and advocates, and we are extremely grateful for their help with our work.
In 2023, we also:
- Launched our new 2023-30 Strategy for the ICAS Foundation
- Launched a new partnership with Johnston Carmichael Chartered Accountants
- Welcomed our 2023 cohort of students and mentors at an event in Glasgow
- Saw 13 ICAS Foundation graduates and mentors admitted as CAs at the ICAS Admissions Ceremony 2023.
What difference does my support make?
Your support can change the lives of those who aspire to follow in your footsteps and join the prestigious ICAS membership. Read what just some of our graduates have said about the ICAS Foundation programme:
- "The ICAS Foundation was an incredible support throughout my studies, and being part of the Foundation programme gave me the self-belief and confidence that a career in accountancy was for me." (Kayley McCombe, CA trainee at Nelson Gilmour Smith)
- "I am so proud to have achieved my CA qualification. My three years of post-university accountancy training have offered me a lifetime’s worth of opportunities, and I am so excited to see where my ICAS qualification takes me next – thanks to the doors the ICAS Foundation opened for me, the world is now my oyster!" (Hazel Smith CA, now working at Bentleys Chartered Accountants, Australia)
- "ICAS Foundation support goes far beyond bursary and mentoring help, and it was so important to me throughout university. It’s great to know that students continue to benefit from this help – I know, even though I’ve graduated, I can still benefit from the connections and assistance the ICAS Foundation offers too." (Liam Guthrie CA, working at Standard Life Assurance)
How you can help
Every donation to the ICAS Foundation makes a difference. Lots of people giving a little can have a huge impact, and helps us continue our work to diversify the accounting sector and widen access to the next generation of CAs.
You can help us by:
- Setting up a direct debit or standing order to donate on a regular basis direct to the ICAS Foundation.
- Donating to the ICAS Foundation while completing your ICAS Annual Membership Renewal, if you are an ICAS member.
- Completing a Gift Aid declaration form, which increases the value of your donation by 25%.
- Supporting the #Foundation25 fundraising campaign, with 25 CAs each aiming to raise £1000 for the Foundation
If you are a CA, you can also help us stay in touch with you by signing up to receive updates directly from the ICAS Foundation when completing your ICAS membership renewal. This means we can let you know about our work and the difference your support can make to the lives of future CAs like you.
Find out more
- Read ICAS Past President Sir David Tweedie’s open letter to the ICAS membership about the importance of the Foundation’s work.
- Meet some of our students and find out more about the difference the ICAS Foundation has made to their studies.
- Hear from an ICAS Foundation graduate and a donor in the December 2021 issue of the ICAS CA Magazine.
- Find out why our donors support us financially in the November 2020 issue of the CA Magazine.
Your support is incredibly valuable to us – thank you for helping us continue our work.
The ICAS Foundation is a registered Scottish charity No SC034836.
You can support the work of the ICAS Foundation by donating, volunteering to mentor a student or providing an internship or work placement. You can also contact us to discuss a specific area where you would like to help.